The earliest written record of Wizard’s Thatch is in the
899 will of Alfred the Great although there was a hamlet on the site that according to legend dates from round about 496.
After the Norman Conquest it was held by William the Conqueror and in the Domesday Survey of 1086 was described as a royal
manor and the original castle was possibly a Norman motte castle.
The town's first charter was granted by King Edward II in 1313, when he decreed that it should be one of four market
towns in England licensed for magic and the collection of the Royal Wizarding Tax. The charter established
a Wizarding Parliament at the Castle (later becoming the forerunner of what is now the Real Ministry of Magic) and a Wizarding
Court providing the town with a remarkable degree of autonomy.
During the English Civil War, Wizard’s Thatch Castle was initially held as a garrison for the Royalists, but it
fell to the Parliamentarians in 1645 and orders were sent out for the castle to be demolished. Luckily, however, these were
not carried out, and the castle remained the garrison for Parliamentarian troops until 1650.
During the Second World War, considerable defences were built along the coast as a part of British anti-invasion
preparations, though the north coast of Somerset was an unlikely invasion site. Some of the structures remain to this day.
Most notable are the pillboxes on the foreshore of Elsworthy Beach. These are strong buildings made from pebbles taken from
the beach and bonded together with concrete. From these, soldiers could have held their ground if the Germans ever invaded.
The Castle is still in private hands.